Tuesday 8 January 2013

REVIEW: 'Catching Jordan' by Miranda Kenneally

What's it about?
"What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university.

But everything she's ever worked for is threatened when Ty Green moves to her school. Not only is he an amazing QB, but he's also amazingly hot. And for the first time, Jordan's feeling vulnerable. Can she keep her head in the game while her heart's on the line?" From goodreads.


What did I think of it?
This book fell flat for me.  I've been really enjoying romance books lately, making a change from dystopian, but this book did not deliver what I'd hoped. I'd read lots of positive reviews so I thought I'd give it ago.

The constant American football content did not help me enjoy this book. Perhaps its because I'm not sporty or that I know very little about American football, but I found the parts on the pitch and discussing tactics very dull.

I found Jordan quite irritating - she just seemed so stupid. The whole 'I have to go to that particular college or else' attitude seemed childish. Even when she knew the college didn't want her for her football skills! Argh.  The behaviour of all the characters felt stereotypical. The way that Jordan was a jock and so therefore couldn't have girly friends? What?  Then discovers that of course its okay to be sporty and be friends with girls. Oh dear lord!

The one thing I did like about this book was Henry- I did root for him and Jordan. He was such a sweetie, though even he had annoying moments. The new quarterback Ty,  I disliked from the start- he was so controlling. It didn't help that you know straight away that Jordan and Henry should be together so Ty just feels like an unwelcome distraction. 


Overall, I wouldn't recommend this book to my friends. It was simply 'OK'.  For me, it just didn't live up to the hype and after reading the wonderful 'Anna and the French Kiss' that afternoon it was no where in the same league.

Rating



No comments:

Post a Comment